Friday, February 11, 2011

The best of archiving information

The best of the whole week was when I got to search for information to be archived for the new museum exhibit. Yesterday I helped the curator Mrs. Cruthirds search and gather information on the African American Military museum. A Forrest County native brought in a box of old interesting newspapers and books from the 1970s and 80s. We scattered the newspapers into a time and searched careful for African American military information. Yet we worked half of the day looking for information and we found nothing. I volunteer today and I will continue to look for information to archive.
Yesterday we also had a meeting about gathering, researching, and archiving information for th new Civil Rights Museum in Hattiesburg. The old Eureka School downtown near Mobile Street will be transformed into a Civil Rights museum. It will be one of the two museum is in the state of Mississippi dedicated to civil rights. I do not know the perspective date of the museum but Mrs. Cruthirds except it to be open at the end of 2012. It will be a total honor to help find information resulting to the cause of civil rights towards Hattiesburg. I hope to actually help set up museum displays for the future Civil Rights Museum at the Eureka School before I am finished with my practicum.

No comments:

Post a Comment